There’s never any reason to give up hope, there’s always the possibility that if you give up right now, the goal that you were looking for was just around the corner.
Eddie Pittman has been a professional cartoonist for 25 years who has worked on animated features such as, Disney’s Mulan, Tarzan, and Lilo and Stitch, he is the writer and story artist for the Disney hit series Phineas and Ferb, and the creator of the award-winning comic series Red’s Planet.
I am so happy that I had the chance to talk with Eddie Pittman. Our interview was amazing and after the show, we talked for what seemed like an hour about the podcast and ways I can go about building an audience of my own. He is an amazing creator and after our podcast, I went on Amazon and picked up a hardcover copy of Red’s Planet (a wonderful book by the way) and I can’t wait for book 2.
Hey, Dream Team! As I mentioned our interview was amazing, full of great insight that I know that you will find useful. After the interview, Eddie gave me such amazing feedback on my project and was really an experience that gave me such positive reinforcement and gave me the rockets that have kept me going and building this podcast into an amazing resource. Eddie puts it all on the line on this interview, going into the mindset, why webcomics work, and why you should always chase your dreams. Hope you enjoy and click to tweet to let Eddie know you heard him on the show.
The Deep Dive
- Making a living in comics isn’t easy
- It is the pioneer days of new media
- Why creating today is easier than it has ever been
- Why webcomics work
- Proof of concept: The step that most people miss
- Talk about your project and begin building a community
- Be prepared to throw everything out and start over
- Impostor syndrome
- Read graphic novels
- How to break the ADD mind and FOCUS
The Quick Round
- A creator that Eddie is really enjoying right now | Mike Maihack – Cleopatra in Space
- A habit that contributes to Eddie’s success | Perseverance
- Eddie’s app/program/tool recommendations | Sketchbook Pro / Photoshop / Illustrator / Manga Studio
- Eddie’s book recommendation | The Illusion of Life Frank and Ollie Johnson
- What would Eddie say to his younger self | Don’t look back and keep going
Final Piece of Advice
Don’t give up.
Links and Resources
- Red’s Planet Website
- Red’s Planet Book
- Sketchbook Pro
- Manga Studio
- Cleopatra in Space
- The Illusion of Life – Ollie Johnston. Frank Thomas
- Tom Hanks interview
Don’t give up on chasing your dreams
You need a proof of concept
Talk about your project and build an audience around it
Connect with Eddie
Thank you for Listening
Thank you for joining me today. Any feedback that you would like to share? Leave a message in the comments section below.
If you like this episode, please share it using the social media buttons after this post
Also, please leave an honest rating and review on iTunes and subscribe to the show if you haven’t already. Ratings and reviews are enormously helpful and greatly appreciated! They help with the rankings of the podcast. I read every single review and I am so grateful for your time.
Thank you, Eddie, for joining me on this episode of Comics Manifest
Subscribe to Comics Manifest
Sign up to get FREE UPDATES